This event is part of a series of conferences resulting from the Call for Papers “Implementing the Sustainable Development Goals: What Role for Social and Solidarity Economy?” which was launched by the United Nations Inter-Agency Task Force on Social and Solidarity Economy (UNTFSSE) in 2018 and organized by UNRISD. With the Call for Papers, the UNTFSSE aims to identify and mobilize research from different regions and territories which, by critically examining the role of SSE, can contribute to the Task Force’s efforts to scale up and promote SSE as means of implementation of the SDGs.Asia EditionSpecial Session at the International Conference on the Localization of the SDGs and the Co-Construction of the Means of Implementation.
This session, co-hosted by the Global Social Economy Forum (GSEF), will discuss ways in which SSE, broadly conceptualized, impacts our ability to implement and localize the crosscutting nature of the SDGs in the Asian context. The papers will be made available to policy makers, SSE and development practitioners, researchers and UN entities on the UNTFSSE’s Knowledge Hub for the SGDs
(hosted by UNRISD).
Laurence Kwark—Secretary General, Global Social Economy Forum, Seoul – Republic of Korea
Anup Kumar Dash—Board Member, Development Bank of India, Bhubaneswar – India
- SSE as a driving force in localizing the SDGs and scaling up impact: The case of women’s SHG in India.
Chaminda Hettiarachchi—Director of the Fablanka Foundation, Colombo – Sri Lanka
- Digital Fabrication Labs for implementing SDGs in SSE in Sri Lanka.
Kanak Kanti Bagchi—Professor of Economics at University of North Bengal, Darjeeling – India
- Cooperatives as a means of fostering integrated and sustainable development – a case study of Nepal.
Rolan Literatus—Tenured Instructor and Lecturer at Xavier University, Ateneo de Cagayan – the Philippines
- Health maintenance cooperative: an alternative model to universal health coverage in the Philippines.
Caitlyn Bentley—Research Fellow at the Agency and Assurance Institute, Australian National University, Canberra – Australia
- Can the platform economy scale the social and solidarity economy? The role of digital platforms in Indonesia’s tourism sector.
Ilcheong Yi—UNRISD, Geneva – Switzerland
Garam Lee—Doctoral Candidate, Yonsei University, Seoul – Republic of Korea
- Rise of Social and Solidarity Economy in South Korea and its role for social inclusion and social empowerment.
Tahsina Khan—Associate Professor at the American International University, Dhaka – Bangladesh
Wahed-ul Huq Khandkar
- Micro-finance interventions in renewable energy: promoting sustainable rural development through solar electrification.
Rufus Kamran—Executive Director, Society for Peace and Sustainable Development, Islamabad – Pakistan
- Enhancing food security, nutrition and poverty reduction through SHGs. An experience from Pakistan.
Preethi Solomon—Ph.D. Scholar at Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai – India
The Call for Papers was carried out with the support of seed funding from the Ministry of Labour, Employment, Social Economy and Economic Solidarity of Luxembourg, in addition to UNRISD institutional funds.The present event has received additional support for participant travel from Yonsei University.
- Social and Solidarity economy as a tool for sustainable marine fishery: An illustration based on fishermen’s cooperatives in Kerala, India.