WHY HAVE THE GSEF2016?
Because more than 2,000 participants from every continent will be converging in Québec’s metropolis for to discuss and work on the central theme of the Global Social Economy Forum -GSEF2016: collaboration between local governments and the social and solidarity economy actors for the development of cities.
September 7-9, 2016
Palais des Congrès de Montréal
Across the world, the social and solidarity economy (SSE) generates important economic, social, cultural, and environmental impact, and, more importantly, social innovations that help address the challenges of city administrations and their communities. Whether it is to meet essential needs such as housing and food security, ensure an adequate quality of life to residents through local services, cultural activities, and other recreational services, or contribute to social cohesion, SSE initiatives create decent employment and support the development of more equitable and sustainable cities.
Recognizing this, the aim of the GSEF2016 is to facilitate collaboration among public administrators and SSE actors by presenting best practices, whether they be processes, tools, or innovative results emerging from co-constructed public policies. These best practices will be presented mainly by SSE and local government actors, though innovative citizen initiatives and private sector projects developed with the SSE will also be brought to the fore.
3 DAYS / OVER 30 WORKSHOPS / SITE VISITS AND HUNDREDS OF MEETING OPPORTUNITIES TO:
- Share your best practices and learn about others in the social and solidarity economy taking place around the planet in collaboration with local governments
- Identify opportunities and issues regarding coordinated action between yourlocal governments and SSE stakeholders
- Promote coordinated international actions to foster the development of the SSE in your area.
- Social and solidarity economy organizations and networks
- Local governments: elected officials and civil servants
- Academics: researchers and students
- Private sector representatives
- Civil society stakeholders
THE GSEF IN BRIEF
The Global Social Economy Forum -GSEF2016 is the third edition of the Global Social Economy Forum (GSEF), a large international gathering that was initiated by the City of Seoul in 2013, in collaboration with its local social economy partners. The 2014 edition, held once again in the South Korean capital, culminated in the founding of the GSEF as a permanent international association uniting local governments and civil society stakeholders that recognize the social and solidarity economy (SSE) as a key factor in local economic development.
Preliminary programme: http://www.gsef2016.org/program/program-2/?lang=en
To sign up for the GSEF newsletter: http://www.gsef2016.org/?lang=en